YOGA, CHILD’S PLAY
|CONTACT HOURS:||4 Hours|
Domain of OT, OTP,
AL 20-171817 4hrs
FL 20-171817 4hrs
Yoga, Child’s Play interactive movie course will provide participants with the knowledge and expertise needed to complement and individualize treatment strategies for multiple pediatric diagnoses. Such diagnoses include Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Autism, ADHD and learning disabilities.
All courses single user only. Click Here for multi-user or licensure discounts info.
*University & multi-center Licensure available upon request; all courses single user only
*5.0 NBCOT® PDUs
Domain of OT, Occupational Therapy Process,
Yoga, Child’s Play interactive movie course will provide participants with the knowledge and expertise needed to complement and individualize treatment strategies for multiple pediatric diagnoses. Such diagnoses include Down syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Autism, ADHD and learning disabilities. The course will enhance conventional therapeutic approaches and provide alternative methods of treatment. The course content includes balanced yoga poses to increase body awareness, position in space, strength and flexibility. Also, specialized breathing exercises and relaxation techniques to improve concentration and reduce hyperactivity. All of the above directly relates to therapy provided in the pediatric settings. The course also will provide participants with the knowledge and expertise needed to offer the same benefits of increased body awareness, position in space, strength, flexibility, improved concentration and relaxation to healthy children.
Note: This course provides conceptual preparation to seek additional training, and does not provide you a mentored hands-on skills session. Please seek additional experience, with a mentor, to perform hands-on skills introductory level learning course – Instructional Methods include lecture, and video to enhance understanding. Upon successful completion of the examination (80%) your certificate will be sent via email.
- Review basic yoga techniques with conventional pediatric approaches.
- List specialized breathing exercises and relaxation techniques to improve concentration and reduce hyperactivity in the special needs child as well as the healthy child.
- Integrate a series of balanced yoga poses to increase body awareness, position in space, and build strength and flexibility in the special needs child and the healthy child.
- View how to challenge muscles and thinking skills at the same time.
- View how to utilize yoga techniques with muscle strengthening and re-education process that leads to functional mobility activities as well as an increase in activities of daily living for the pediatric population.
- Describe how to increase range of motion, trunk stability and ambulation with the pediatric population.
- Personal Yoga Experience
- Yoga Postures
- Seated core strengthening and twisting
- Yoga Play for Children with Special Needs
- Eye Exercises
- Yoga Postures
- Yoga Play for the Well Child
- Yoga Postures for active children of varying ages
With a proven track record over a span of nearly 30 years, Michelle has received recognition as an expert in the field of Yoga and healing. Having conducted the Yoga therapy classes for the Cleveland Clinic’s scientific study in 2000 entitled, “The Impact of Yoga on a Chronic Pain Population,” Michelle demonstrated how Yoga can be a therapeutic tool for a range of physical and emotional challenges. (Study was orchestrated by Dr. Sonia Gaur, then a psychiatric resident). The conclusion of the study revealed that “Yoga improves mood in chronic pain patients, leads to decreased medication use, and a decrease in pain severity. Results are statistically significant.” Michelle taught for the Clinic employees for over 5 years, including during the time she operated her own double Yoga studio in Middleburg Heights, OH. Much of Michelle’s career has been spent traveling as a Yoga and Reiki instructor, leading classes and workshops in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Pennsylvania (and now Florida) since 1985. She offers Kripalu Yoga, giving instruction that touches all levels (physical, mental/emotional and spiritual). She leads her classes at the level of the students with enough challenge to encourage strength-building, growth and constant improvement in all areas without force or strain. She received certification for Yoga Education Autism Spectrum from Kahlon Family Services of Los Angeles and has taught Yoga for special needs children at the Children’s Developmental Center, Amherst, OH since 2005. Michelle has also taught Yoga for incarcerated teens at the Mohican Juvenile Correctional Facility in Mohican State Park (OH) and for emotionally disturbed and adjudicated teens at Common Ground Center, Oberlin, OH. A Reiki practitioner and teacher since 1996, Michelle has attuned over a hundred Reiki practitioners. In 2012 and 2014, Michelle received elite certifications from Paths 2 Empowerment’s OverLight series to facilitate Vagus Nerve Activations and offers appointments. She offers classes and workshops in Kripalu Yoga, Reiki, Vagus Nerve Activations and teaches Tarot as a creativity and self-knowledge tool. She is an affiliate with the Thrive Movement and a distributor for Zija International. Michelle strives to promote personal empowerment and peace, one heart at a time.
- Participants have one year to access the CEU course and exam to obtain CEUs.
- Treatment2go is an AOTA approved provider ID #3397. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
- NBCOT® is a registered trademark of the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, Inc. and does not promote or endorse our specific courses, services or training.